IMA Student Case Competition 2019
1. Brief details of the event highlights: IMA (Institute of Management Accountants) held its annual Student Case Competition in Pune on 2nd March 2019. For participation, various reputed colleges and universities selected a team of three to five students to determine the best solution for a management accounting case. A total of 26 student teams submitted their case analysis which went through a preliminary evaluation.
The top seven teams were selected and called to present their case to a panel of judges. Finalist teams included Chandigarh Group of Colleges, Landran, Mohali, Christ University, Bangalore, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras, Symbiosis College of Arts and Commerce, Pune, Bharati Vidyapeeth College of Engineering, Delhi, MES Garware College of Commerce, Pune and BITS Pilani. The students very well presented their case studies in teams and depicted the real scenes of the workplace. Participants also came up with very creative and innovative solutions to the present case study.
2. Response of the audience/ learning for the student : All the participants were elated to be a part of the IMA Student Case Competition as they were all provided with such a big platform to show case their skills and talent. They also learnt to acquire decision making skills through this platform.
3. Faculty Coordinator: Ms. Bhupinder Preet Bedi
4. Number of participants (Student & Faculty): Total Six teams participated in the final round consisting around 23 students from different streams. Team CGC, Landran consisted three students; Ms. Himanshi Aplani, Mr. Girish Gupta and Mr. Naman Gupta respectively from MBA, BBA & CEC departments. Ms. Bhupinder Preet Bedi- Assistant Prof.-MBA (CBSA) went along with the Team to represent CGC in IMA Student Case Competition held at Pune under the guidance of Director-Principal-CBSA, Dr. V.B. Soni & HOD MBA-Dr. Sunayna Khurana.
5. Learning Outcomes: This case study Competition was an excellent opportunity to test and implement the theoretical knowledge into the practical world. It also helped the students to develop a manager’s perspective towards problem solving and decision making. This competition has been a great learning experience. Students learned how to present their ideas and views with confidence and conviction. This is the biggest take away from the event. In addition to that, one of the members of Team CGC- Mr. Girish Gupta have got an opportunity to receive CMA® (Certified Management Accountant) scholarships worth US$850.
Globally, IMA sponsors a variety of awards, competitions, and scholarship programs to help students earn recognition for their achievements and develop a curious, experimental, and adaptable mindset among future accounting and finance professionals.