The Program of Management Learning with Mumbai Dabbawala Association
Date: 28th February, 2019
1. Expert Detail: Name: Mr. Raghunath D. Medge
Designation : President
Organization: Mumbai Dabbawala Association
Total Experience : More than 42 years
2. Faculty Coordinator : Ms. Seema Saini
3. Number of Participants (600 students & Faculty Members)
4. Brief Profile of Expert:
Since 1890, Dressed in white outfit and traditional Gandhi Cap, Mumbai Army of 5,000 Dabbawalas fulfilling the hunger of almost 2,00,000 Mumbaikars with home-cooked food that is lug between home and office daily. For more than a century the team has been part of this grime-ridden metropolis-of-dreams. About 125 years back, a Parsi banker wanted to have home cooked food in office and gave this responsibility to the first ever Dabbawala. Many people liked the idea and the demand for Dabba delivery soared. It was an informal and individual effort in the beginning, but visionary Mahadeo Havaji Bachche saw the opportunity and started the lunch delivery service in its present teamdelivery format with 100 Dabbawalas. As the city grew, the demand for Dabba delivery grew too. The coding system created by our forefather is still prominent in 21st century. Initially it was simple colour coding but now since Mumbai is widely spread metro with 3 local train routes, our coding has also evolved into alpha numeric characters.
5. The event highlights: CBSA organized the program of “Management Learning with Mumbai Dabbawala Association”. The program was addresed by Mr. Raghunath D. Medge, (President- Mumbai Dabbawala Association) on 28th February’ 19 at 10:00 am -12:00 pm in the Auditorium. The session was highly motivating and knowledgeable. He shared his experience and challenges for delivering the dabbas (Tiffin) to the customers and shared how dabbas (Tiffin) reaches every afternoon sharp at 12:30 without fail. The delivery default rate is one in a million deliveries. During evening the empty Tiffin boxes are returned back to the respective homes sharp at 17:30. The pickup is done sharp at 08:30. Based on a reserch conducted they recently received a SIX SIGMA certification. Dabba delivery system right from the sorting point to the destination, accompanied with our Dabbawalas in the local train. He discussed that we work on four basic pillars i.e. Efficiency, Time management, Coordination, and Culture are perfectly aligned and mutually reinforcing. In the corporate world, it’s uncommon for managers to strive for that kind of synergy.
6. Learning Outcomes The students were very excited after attending this session and they gave positive feedback to the program. The session motivated the students about understanding of the managerial decisions in the organization. We believe that the knowledge shared by speaker will immensely help the students to see things in a wider perspective that how a small beginning can turn into such a huge business